first_imgDear Editor,The Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) finds it incumbent to respond to Mr Gobin Harbhajan’s letter, titled “Not doom and gloom for sugar workers”, which appeared in sections of the media on September 16, 2017.Mr Harbhajan seemed very upset by the GAWU-organised march and public meeting which was held at Corriverton, Berbice on September 12, 2017. Like Mr Harbhajan says, “action speaks louder than words”, and quite clearly the workers, by their actions, have demonstrated that they are opposed to plans by the APNU/AFC Government to sell out Skeldon and to close Rose Hall and Enmore/LBI Estates.It seems that the erstwhile gentleman is failing, for some odd reason, to recognize that the people have staunchly rejected his Government’s anti-people plans. It would have been thought that, given the wide condemnation that the sugar plans have attracted, Mr Harbhajan and colleagues would have returned to the drawing board, rather than rigidly and wrongly holding on to their misplaced plans. Governments the world over, even some dictatorial-type ones, have gone down such paths, but it seems the APNU/AFC Government, which professed its love for the sugar workers, has chosen to break the mould.We must admit that we find it laughable that Mr Harbhajan, like an errant driver going up the wrong side of a one-way street, maintains that our Union hasn’t offered “sensible and workable solutions” regarding the situation in the sugar industry, when probably all of Guyana and many beyond Guyana’s shores are fully aware that the Union, on February 17th this year, shared its thoughts with the Government at a meeting chaired by none other than his colleague, Vice President Ramjattan. We urge Mr Harbhajan, as we have done before, to check with his colleagues before making clearly misleading assertions.Also, Mr Harbhajhan, just to tell you: the Government has never said to us that what we have proposed is unmeritorious.Despite the very active debate on sugar that has been playing out in the press for some time now, Mr Harbhajan calls to attention the strike data from GuySuCo. It seems that the Regional Councillor and former SEI Director is not aware that the vast majority of those strikes relate to price disputes, which concern just a few workers, and are legitimized by the agreement between GAWU and GuySuCo.While the author speaks about the decline in sugar production, he – conveniently or otherwise – fails to explain how, despite the industry receiving billion from the State, in the era of his Government, is on track to deliver its worst performance since 1990.Mr Harbhajan, just to let you know: strikes have fallen by 44 per cent between last year’s first crop and this year’s; and rainfall, though a bit unusual, was just 15 per cent above the average. Certainly, the usual scapegoats aren’t the culprits. Then what is, Mr Harbhajan?The parading of the industry’s employment cost is most disingenuous, and is obviously meant to convey that sugar workers earn boatloads of money. But we recall the sugar workers being told, during the 2015 elections’ campaign, that they were underpaid and they deserved a 20 per cent increase in pay. It is intriguing that, all of a sudden, the workers are earning too much. Mr Harbhajan’s clear duplicity stands nakedly exposed.Mr Harbhajan then goes on to say that workers will not lose their jobs should the industry be privatized. Maybe it is that the author has a crystal ball, or is performing some kind of ‘voodoo’. Experience has taught us otherwise, and as Jamaica has shown us, there is no guarantee all workers would be retained and would receive similar benefits. Such a situation is certainly not in the interest of Guyanese and Guyana. We urge Mr Harbhajan to become acquainted with the facts.Yours faithfully,Seepaul Narinelast_img read more

Posted in oohiwmwh

first_img“Football is a funny game. Some of the lads might be scouted and we could find the next Wanyama from there. Obviously we (Hull City) have the first grabs so if we find one, we will definitely pick,” Boyle told Capital Sport on Tuesday morning.The team of 47 was selected after Hull coaches led by Boyd attended KPL matches and club training sessions to identify talent to form an all-star team to play in the February friendly in the United Kingdom.Hull coach Dean Windass with the KPL All-Star players at the Kasarani Stadium.PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaThe players started camp on Monday and will train for a further two weeks before the squad is trimmed down to final 18 who will travel for the friendly. However the possibility of Gor Mahia players featuring appears to be minimal as they are currently away on a pre-season camp in Sudan.The squad is a blend of youth and experience with a number of young players including AFC Leopards’ Harun Nyakha, Ulinzi Stars’ Cliff Kasuti, Western Stima’s Brian Marita and Bandari’s Darius Msagha among those selected.Boyle has admitted it would be difficult to choose the final squad, but added they will pick players who will have proven to fit into the 4-4-2 system they plan to employ facing the English Premier League club.“It is pleasing to see a lot of the Kenyan players are technically gifted and that’s a good place to start working from. The squad was selected basing on players who are technically and physically good enough. Position wise we will try to identify players who will adapt to the system we will play against Hull.”Hull City coach Terry Boyle in action during the opening of the KPL All-Stars training camp.PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaHull City legend and club ambassador Dean Windass, who famously scored the goal that earned the team promotion to the Premier League in 2008, has promised the players a good atmosphere in England and his only worry is for them to quickly adapt to the winter conditions.“It is a great experience for the Kenyan boys to play against a very young side who are hungry for success. The weather will be a bit different, but it should be a nice experience for them. Playing in a Premier League stadium will also be a great moment for them,” Windass stated.FKF President Nick Mwendwa has asked the players to give their best and take the opportunity to showcase their talent with an eye of progressing their careers at bigger stages.Hull City are expected to travel to Kenya for another friendly match with another All-Star team in July.“We do have a game scheduled with Hull City to bring them to experience Kenyan football, culture and life. Moving forward maybe we could have a longer partnership with Kenyan football. We are finalising on the details and see how we can slot in with our pre-season schedule,” Hull City partnership executive, Andrew Stead said.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000KPL All-Star team during the opening of the camp at Kasarani Stadium on Tuesday, January 17, 2016.PHOTO/Raymond Makhaya.NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 17- English Premier League side Hull City hope to find the next Victor Wanyama from an All-Star squad of 47 Kenyan Premier League (KPL) players selected for a friendly match against the Tigers at the KCOM Stadium on February 27.Terry Boyle, a development coach at the Hull City Academy says he has been impressed with the pool of talent selected and is optimistic that if the players put their best feet forward, they might land a chance of being picked by scouts who will attend the high profile friendly match.last_img read more

Posted in jycywmjo

first_imgJuventus are lining up a surprise bid for Chelsea flop Juan Cuadrado should their move for Schalke 04 star Julian Draxler fall through.The reigning Italian double winners have approached the Colombian’s representatives over a switch to Serie A this season while Juve wait on a deal for Draxler.As talkSPORT told you first on Wednesday, the Germany World Cup winner is the subject of a final offer from Massimiliano Allegri’s men but the Bundesliga outfit are determined to retain the playmaker’s services.Failure to land Draxler will see Juve step up their interest in winger Cuadrado – who came off the bench to make a rare appearance for the Blues during the 3-0 defeat at Manchester City last weekend.However, the 27-year-old, who spent most of last season on loan at Fiorentina, is surplus to requirements at Stamford Bridge with the arrival of Barcelona star Pedro imminent.Cuadrado, who cost Jose Mourinho’s men £23.3m earlier this year, is likely to be available for a cut-price fee before the conclusion of the transfer window. Juan Cuadrado 1last_img read more

Posted in kbqjkvwa