LATEST STORIES Nadal was also taken to three sets before seeing off Fabio Fognini 7-6 (7/3), 3-6, 6-4.“My level of tennis was not so high today, but I managed to make it through the first round. It was uncomfortable. It was a really awful day. it was really windy,” Nadal said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSMcGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC returnSPORTSBreak new ground“It’s true I’ve been through some difficult days with the issue of my ear (infection), which cost me a little bit of general stability.“I feel a little bit strange. But it’s something that is getting better day after day.” Ex-Bulacan town vice mayor, village chief shot dead G’Port stalls Meralco Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ Fifth seed Milos Raonic is into the last 16 as he got the better of a battle between two big servers, 6-4, 6-4 over Gilles Muller.Kei Nishikori recovered from a dreadful start to beat Argentine Diego Schwartzman 1-6, 6-0, 6-4 and faces David Ferrer next.In the WTA Madrid Open, Canadian Eugenie Bouchard advanced when top seed Angelique Kerber retired with a hamstring injury trailing 6-3, 5-0 in their third-round match.Kerber will take over the top ranking on Monday as a result of earlier Madrid results. The match lasted less than an hour.“I just felt it in the last game. Now I will just check it. I will check it, I hope it’s not too serious. But I can feel it a little bit,” she said. CBBSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Djokovic arrived in the Spanish capital without a coach after bringing to an end a 10-year relationship with Marian Vajda in an attempt to reverse his dramatic slump in form over the past year.And after a blistering start, Djokovic had to battle back from 3-0 down in the deciding set to book his place in the last 16 on Thursday against Feliciano Lopez, who beat Gilles Simon 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7/3).“I’m still finding my way to that consistency level and quality of tennis that I’m looking for,” said Djokovic.“I’m aware that I’m not playing at my best, but I’m definitely believing in myself and the process.“Eventually the game will come together.”ADVERTISEMENT Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic (left) celebrates his victory over Spanish tennis player Nicolas Almagro during the ATP Madrid Open in Madrid, on May 10, 2017. Djokovic won 6-1, 4-6 and 7-5. AFPMADRID, Spain — Novak Djokovic staved off a huge upset and Rafael Nadal was made to battle in their opening matches at the Madrid Masters on Wednesday.In his first outing since splitting with his long-time coaching team, Djokovic had to dig deep before eventually despatching Nicolas Almagro 6-1, 4-6, 7-5 in his second-round tie.ADVERTISEMENT End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Wawrinka outThe early signs were positive for the 12-time Grand Slam champion as despite losing his service in the opening game, he broke straight back to start a six-game streak to romp through the first set.Almagro had taken just one set from four previous meetings with Djokovic, but willed on by a partisan home crowd, he held on to his serve despite more pressure from the Serb in the first game of the second set.The Spaniard had to save two break points to hold for 4-3 and then took his chance to break with Djokovic serving to stay in the set.The world number 75, who dipped down to the challenger tour after losing in the first round of the Australian Open earlier this year, then looked set for a monumental upset as he raced into a 3-0 lead in the decider.However, a mixture of Almagro nerves and Djokovic upping his intensity saw the world number two react immediately to level at 3-3.More Almagro errors flowed to give Djokovic another break for 6-5 and he served out for the match. He could meet Nadal in the semi-finals.The home favourite needed 90 minutes to complete the opening set, finally finishing off Italian Fognini on a second match point after being broken while serving for victory.The 14-time Grand Slam champion now faces Nick Kyrgios in the third round.Controversial Australian Kyrgios cruised past American Ryan Harrison 6-3, 6-3.Doubles partner Benoit Paire upset third seed Stan Wawrinka 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 after the Swiss had served for the first set. Panelo: Duterte only wants to emulate strong political will of Marcos Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Bulacan town gears up for biggest cookie jar MOST READ Wildlife rescuers asked to turn over animals to DENR Palace: Crisis over ABC-CBN franchise unlikely Presidency bid needs ‘deep reflection’ – Sara Duterte Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Taal Volcano evacuees warned against going home View comments
The departments put together a panel of homeowners, business owners, environmentalists and activists that, over four years, considered a variety of options. The new concept emphasizes reusing water. “This effort is a result of community members coming together with the city. What we’ve heard is that we want to maximize the use of our resources, maximize the use of our facilities, work together and look for multiple benefits,” said Adel Hagekhalil, manager of the city’s wastewater engineering services. “I think we were able to come up with a win-win to address some of the concerns of the community and address the objectives of the project.” Under the plan, treated wastewater would be used for irrigation. The city also would use vacant lots, parks and abandoned alleys in the East Valley as green space where storm water and urban runoff could filter down through the soil and replenish groundwater. The plan suggests that the city could use highly treated sewage water to replenish groundwater and drinking water supplies – nicknamed “toilet-to-tap” by critics – but that idea could not be resurrected without a lengthy environmental study. The plan’s first major projects include $660 million to expand the Tillman Water Reclamation plant in the Sepulveda Basin and install three new sewer lines from the southern end of the San Fernando Valley to East Los Angeles. The work would be funded through sewer fees on user bills. Sewer construction would begin in 2011 to take pressure off a line built in the 1930s that’s nearly at capacity. But the sewers have been the most controversial elements of the plan. Residents near the proposed lines worry about years of drilling and trucking through their neighborhoods during construction – as well as potential odors and fumes after the work is complete. Los Angeles Public Works officials received 2,750 letters in connection with the plan, most related to concerns about the sewer-line routes. After reviewing the complaints, Los Angeles City Councilman Tom LaBonge and sanitation officials drew new sewer lines that would run south of most residential areas in an effort to compromise with residents in Studio City, Toluca Lake and Burbank, who complained about the construction and potential sewer smells. “This is the best way to serve the community in an important public works project that everybody uses daily but doesn’t know where it goes,” LaBonge said. But the sewer lines still go through a portion of Burbank – under Forest Lawn Drive, Pass Avenue and Riverside Drive. Los Angeles treats about 3 million gallons of sewage produced in Burbank every day. At a Burbank City Council meeting earlier this week, officials vowed to fight the proposed expansion and ordered the city staff to investigate whether the routing process followed state environmental law. “Our council was very clear they would have preferred the sewer stay completely out of Burbank,” said Burbank Public Works Director Bonnie Teaford. [email protected] (213) 978-0390 THE PLAN The 1,500-page Integrated Resources Plan lays out a blueprint for Los Angeles to meet future wastewater, recycled water and urban runoff needs. Its recommendations include: Expand the Tillman Water Reclamation plant in Sepulveda Basin from 64 million to 100 million gallons a day. It would reuse up to 56,000 acre-feet of recycled water daily. Add wastewater recycling and treatment equipment at the Hyperion Treatment Plant. Increase the amount of recycled effluent from Tillman and Los Angeles-Glendale. Continue implementing water conservation programs, including “smart” irrigation devices. Install three new sewer lines at an approximate cost of $150 million each. Run a northeast sewer line from Eagle Rock north to near the Los Angeles Zoo, running west of the Los Angeles River west through Griffith Park. Run a Glendale-Burbank line from Caltrans’ North Hollywood Maintenance Station in Toluca Lake, east along Moorpark Street and Forest Lawn Drive to the zoo. Run an 8 1/2-mile Valley Spring Lane line from Toluca Lake to Tillman, but the specific route has not yet been developed. More information on the plan is available at www.lacity.org/SAN/irp.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Capping seven years of work, Los Angeles’ public works officials have unveiled a $3 billion plan to upgrade the city’s sewer, storm-water and water-treatment systems. The San Fernando Valley will benefit from a large chunk of the investment intended to meet increasingly stringent water-quality laws and the needs of the surging population. The city is expected to add 700,000 residents in the next 14 years and all those people – and their waste – will generate 68 million more gallons of wastewater daily. Much of the massive blueprint is dedicated to upgrading sewer lines and expanding the city’s wastewater treatment plant in the Valley. And it marks one of the first comprehensive efforts in years. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe Christmas Truce of 1914 proved that peace is possible“The city is at a turning point. We really need to look forward to the future. Water is one of our last precious resources,” said Cynthia Ruiz, president of the Board of Public Works. But the plan already is coming under fire in some neighborhoods where sewer lines are proposed. The Burbank City Council, for example, has vowed to fight a planned expansion that would locate an underground pipeline near homes and businesses in its city. The Bureau of Sanitation is expected to present the plan to the Los Angeles Board of Public Works on Wednesday, and officials expect the City Council to approve it by the end of October. The sewer, storm-water and wastewater upgrades would be built over the next 20 years at a cost of roughly $3 billion. The Integrated Resources Plan is a new kind of project for Los Angeles. The Department of Water and Power – which supplies water for use – and the Bureau of Sanitation – which treats water after it’s used – teamed up to see how they could coordinate efforts.