first_img AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 28 AUG 2019 Devices Huawei founder urges shift to software KT makes LG Electronics trade-in move Related Kavit Majithia HomeDevicesNews Smartphone sales dip but Huawei, Samsung stay strong Previous ArticleEricsson quiet on CEO exit rumoursNext ArticleEE takes fight to Vodafone with unlimited launch center_img Author Tags Google taps retail with NYC store Kavit joined Mobile World Live in May 2015 as Content Editor. He started his journalism career at the Press Association before joining Euromoney’s graduate scheme in April 2010. Read More >> Read more Global smartphone sales slipped to a 1.7 per cent decline in Q2 2019 totalling 368 million units, as the demand for high-end devices slowed, Gartner found.The research company’s senior research director Anshul Gupta said there was a bigger slowdown in take up of premium devices, over midrange and low-end smartphones, and manufacturers tried to boost replacements by bringing premium features from their flagships into lower-end models.While the overall market declined, Huawei and Samsung still experienced a strong quarter, with both vendors exhibiting strong annual sales increases of 16.5 per cent and 3.8 per cent respectively.Samsung sold 75.1 million units, giving it an overall market share of 20.4 per cent, while the Chinese vendor sold 58 million smartphones, giving it 15.8 per cent.Gartner noted that Huawei’s success was mainly down to strong promotion and brand positioning in China, where it experienced record growth of 31 per cent. However, the effects of an import ban by the US led to a sharp decline in smartphone sales globally.Huawei and Samsung aside, other major players continued to struggle. Apple, for example, sold 38 million iPhones in the second quarter, a decline of 13.8 per cent year on year.“Too few incremental benefits are preventing existing iPhone users from replacing their smartphones,” said Gupta.RegionsWith regards to markets, China and Brazil were the only two countries out of the top five to show growth.China retained its number 1 position with 101 million smartphone sales, up 0.5 per cent year on year. Gartner noted Chinese vendors, with the availability of 5G models, “had to clear out inventory of 4G high-end smartphone model”.Brazil’s smartphone sales increased 1.3 per cent, achieving 10.8 million smartphone sales, as the country’s economy began to recover.Gartner warned smartphone sales will remain weak for the rest of the year. Subscribe to our daily newsletter Back AppleGartnerHuaweiSamsunglast_img read more

Posted in njlmtazq

first_imgMEXICO CITY – On Wednesday, Rory McIlroy’s voice carried across the professional golf landscape, the Northern Irishman drawing a hard line in the proverbial sand in what’s shaping up to be a potentially house-dividing clash between the PGA Tour and a proposed upstart circuit. On Thursday, he spoke even louder with his clubs on his way to a first-round 65 and a two-stroke lead at the WGC-Mexico Championship. Simply put, it was Rory McIlroy doing Rory McIlroy things. He was second in the field with a high-altitude aided 326.3-yard driving average; he eagled his second hole of the day (No. 11), thanks to a 279-yard 4-iron to 16 feet; and he needed just a 9-iron for his second shot at the par-5 15th hole after a 378-yard drive. That he set the pace on the windiest day since the year’s first WGC bolted South Florida for the tree-lined Chapultepec Golf Club only proved what we already know about McIlroy – he’s good at golf. “I don’t know if we’ve ever played this golf course in as much wind as today, especially some of the gusts that got up to maybe 10 or 15 mph,” said McIlroy, who finished runner-up to Dustin Johnson last year in Mexico. “Pulling clubs and sort of trying to figure out how the wind is going to affect the ball up here was a little tricky, but I felt like [caddie Harry Diamond] and I handled that pretty well.” If that seems as if McIlroy is underplaying his opening effort, it’s because he is. He didn’t call his round on Wednesday, but he did seem to state the obvious when he was asked if he could see himself shooting 21 under par this week. “I mean, yeah, I can,” he shrugged. Highlights: Rory jumps out to early lead at WGC-Mexico WGC-Mexico Championship: Full-field scores | Full coverage It likely won’t take anything close to 21 under, Johnson’s winning total last year, to take the trophy if the high winds persist but at his current pace it will take Herculean effort to beat Rory. It was during this run-up to the Masters last year when McIlroy embraced a more wholistic outlook. Heading into the 2019 WGC-Mexico Championship he’d finished in the top 5 in his first three starts of the year and when he found himself a runner-up in Mexico some began to question his ability to close. McIlroy never worried. He never wondered. He knew he was on the right path and broke through with a commanding performance a few weeks later at The Players. It was a victory that set the stage for his Player of the Year season. Those with no sense of history fell into a familiar trap after last week’s tie for fifth at the Genesis Invitational. He began the final round tied for the lead in Los Angeles but derailed his title chances early with a double-bogey 7 on the fifth hole. “I played 17 holes in 1 under par [in Los Angeles] and then I obviously had a bad hole on the fifth, but I actually took a lot of positives from Sunday,” he explained after being asked the difference between last Sunday and Round 1 in Mexico. Thursday’s play actually felt more like a continuation of last week, not a rebound. Perhaps the only thing that was different was McIlroy’s place in the game following his comments a day earlier regarding a proposed tour that’s attempting to woo some of the game’s top players away from the PGA Tour. Rory on Premier Golf League: ‘I don’t like it … I’m out’ Until this week most players had offered only glancing assessments of the Premier Golf League, but on Wednesday McIlroy became the first star to dig in against the league. “The more I’ve thought about it, the more I don’t like it,” he said. “For me, I’m out. My position is I’m against it until there may come a day that I can’t be against it. If everyone else goes, I might not have a choice, but at this point I don’t like what they’re proposing.” If you doubt the reach of McIlroy’s voice consider that within hours of his comments regarding the PGL some players, including Bubba Watson and Xander Schauffele, joined him on the PGA Tour side of the divide. As the world’s top-ranked player there will always be a degree of gravity to McIlroy’s comments, but his decision to speak out so early and so vehemently sent an undeniable statement. The PGL concept isn’t on the mat just yet but it certainly took a blow. All things considered it was a good Wednesday for McIlroy followed by an even more impressive Thursday.last_img read more

Posted in svmkhfch

first_img“It’s early, and we have people that haven’t thrown that much and they’re learning. I know that they’ll get to where we need them to be,” Allister said.During her second appearance — a 10-5 loss to Fordham — Anderson struggled early and often.Before she could record an out, Allister removed her from the circle.Anderson faced eight batters and allowed eight runs to cross the plate.After Anderson’s replacement, sophomore Hannah Evavold gave up a run in one inning, Stober took to the circle again. She faced 20 batters and allowed one run off of five hits.Allister has preached the importance of having two of the three phases — pitching, hitting and defense — in order to win.But over the weekend, Minnesota’s pitching fell short.“[Pitcher] is the most important position on the field. It doesn’t matter who you are or who you’re playing, [pitching] is a factor,” Allister said. Minnesota’s pitchers falter in three-loss weekendMinnesota lost three of the four games it played over the weekend.Daily File Photo; Jaak JensenMinnesota’s Nikki Anderson pitches during a doubleheader against Wisconsin on Sunday, April 7, 2013, at Jane Sage Cowles Stadium. Matt GreensteinMarch 2, 2015Jump to CommentsShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via EmailPrintStrong pitching helped the Gophers win all but one of their first 14 games this season.But over the weekend, while in Florida, Minnesota’s pitching assisted in three losses.The Gophers won only one of four games.Last year, then-sophomore Nikki Anderson pitched 42 innings mostly in relief appearances.But over the weekend, the junior pitched less than five innings, giving up 12 runs — 10 earned.Anderson’s struggles were visible during the Gophers’ second game — an 8-2 loss against James Madison — with a 4.2 inning relief appearance. She came in for freshman Kylie Stober.Stober gave up four runs on six hits in just more than one inning pitched.She took the loss, but of James Madison’s 18 hits, 12 were against Anderson.Earlier this season, head coach Jessica Allister said Minnesota’s pitching staff will get back to the “1A-1B” pitching rotation it had with sophomore Sara Groenewegen and Sara Moulton last year.But the Gophers have some work to do before getting there, and Anderson’s weekend solidified that.last_img read more

Posted in ldobahmb

first_imgDuPage County State’s Attorney’s Office(WOODRIDGE, Ill.) — An Illinois woman is suspected of moving through the shadows of the dark web to carry out a sinister murder-for-hire plot, even using cryptocurrency to mask her identity.Tina Jones, 31, of Des Plaines, Illinois, allegedly paid a dark web company more than $10,000 via bitcoin in January to have the wife of the man she was having an affair with killed, the DuPage County State’s Attorney’s Office said Wednesday.Police in Woodridge, Illinois, “received a tip that a woman in Woodridge was the subject of an alleged murder-for-hire plot” on April 12, the state’s attorney’s office said.The tip led to Jones’ arrest, after she turned herself in on Tuesday, prosecutors said.Jones has been charged with one count of solicitation of murder for hire.She appeared at a hearing Wednesday, where bond was set at $250,000, and is set to appear in court next on May 15.ABC News has reached out to her attorney for comment.“In recent years, law enforcement has seen a dramatic increase in the use of the dark web as it relates to criminal activity,” Woodridge Police Chief Brian Cunningham said in a statement.The dark web is a collection of internet sites that are hidden from search engines and require special software to access. The sites are usually encrypted, and users can remain more anonymous, including those who may be engaged in criminal activity.He called this case “a great example of how increased training, shared resources and interagency cooperation helped protect one of our residents.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img read more

Posted in gtzriikh

first_imgMelbourne’s Kingston Heath Golf Club had been due to host the 105th edition of the historic championship, the world’s fifth oldest professional golf tournament, in November.But with the country battling a surge in COVID-19 cases and the game’s stars facing major tournaments moved to later in 2020, Golf Australia operations manager Simon Brookhouse said they would instead look at a “January to March 2021 window”.The US Masters, originally scheduled for April, will now be played in Augusta from November 12-15.Coupled with COVID-19 travel restrictions and quarantine measures, that means it would be almost impossible to assemble a world-class field in Melbourne.“Unfortunately, it is not a simple matter of whether or not we could co-ordinate any international stars to visit,” Brookhouse said.“The uncertainty of the quarantine requirements for any players coming from outside Australia needed to be considered,” he said, noting that the restrictions would also impact Australian players currently overseas.“These are very challenging times for all Australians and the uncertainty the global pandemic has caused makes it very difficult to be definitive in relation to future dates at this time,” Brookhouse said.Australia closed its borders to most international travellers in March to curb the spread of COVID-19, although exceptions have been made for some professional athletes who agree to quarantine for 14 days.While most of the country has successfully contained the epidemic, Melbourne is struggling to control a second wave of the virus, closing nearly all travel into the city and surrounding Victoria state.Last year’s Australian Open in Sydney was plagued by smoke from unprecedented bushfires. It was won by Australia’s Matt Jones.The postponement means 2020 will be the first year since World War II in which the Australian Open will not be held.last_img read more

Posted in fmdcodne

first_imgEven after all this time, Denver’s love affair with a bunch of singing Mormons knows no bounds.“The Book of Mormon” is making its way back to the Denver Center For Performing Arts for a fourth visit to the Mile High city. And demand has been so high, DCPA has added an extra week of shows to the run. “The Book of Mormon” is back in Denver starting in June for a month of postalizing and singing at the DCPA.“The Book of Mormon” opens at DCPA’s Ellie Caulkins Opera House on June 13 and now will run through July 7. Tickets start at $35 with and there will be a lottery for a limited number of tickets priced at $25 each for every performance. DCPA will announce details about the lottery process closer to the premiere date. The show is from the minds of Colorado’s own Trey Parker and Matt Stone, creators of “South Park.” The native sons’ Broadway smash made its touring debut in Denver back in 2012 and has made its way been back in 2013 and 2015, selling out each time. So even though there’s an extra week of shows to score tickets for, this one is sure to sell out as well. For more information on tickets which currently are on sale, visit denvercenter.org.last_img read more

Posted in fofabvlic

first_img SPORT.es Osasuna staggered past Athletic in a 0-1 victory on Sunday at San Mames. The two teams arrived at this match after suffering a defeat in their previous league game. Athletic Bilbao arrived with the intention of regaining victory after losing 2-1 against Real Sociedad while Osasuna fell defeated by 1-4 in the last match they played against Real Madrid. As of today, Athletic Bilbao and Osasuna are tied on 31 points sitting in position 10 and 11 respectively after 24 matches. The second half ended with little further action at either end and goalless. The referee booked Unai Vencedor, Mikel San Jose, Inigo Martinez and Aritz Aduriz from Athletic, while for Osasuna Facundo Roncaglia, Oier, Enric Gallego and Darko Brasanac saw a yellow card as well. CET At the end of the match, both teams made 3 substitutions each. For Athletic Bilbao Oihan Sancet, Aritz Aduriz and Ibai Gomez came on for Asier Villalibre, Raul Garcia and Unai Vencedor, while Osasuna brought on Roberto Torres, David Garcia and Fran Merida to replace Adrian Lopez, Nacho Vidal and Oier.center_img Upd. at 20:34 Athletic Bilbao with their next fixture against Alavés at away stadium, while Osasuna will face Granada at home stadium. The first 45 minutes was in favour of Osasuna, thanks to a goal from Oier 29 minutes in the game, finalising the first half with a 0-1. 16/02/2020last_img read more

Posted in ahvgdsim

first_imgBy Bonny Burrows It’s safe to say that Eric Agyeman had no easy upbringing. Born in Ghana, Mr Agyeman struggled…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img

Posted in gntmurcj