Fanie Brits of Bellville and Claire Müller of Wynberg were the two winners in our water-wise competition. Ms Müller and Mr Brits, each won R500 Stodels vouchers in the competition featured in the Cape Community Newspapers, which publishes Athlone News, alongside articles about water-wise gardening. We received 63 entries from across the peninsula, showing that Capetonians are committed to saving water at all times.In his entry, Mr Brits said they had installed 5 000-litre and 2 000-litre water tanks to harvest rainwater. The smaller one is undercover, with a filter to keep the water from the roof, going into the tank, clean.“My wife uses this tank water to do her washing and only uses tap water for the rinsing cycle. “All the water used for the washing of clothes, is re-used in the garden.“When we shower, we stand in a tub, and all that water is also used in the garden. We do not (use the) bath at all,” Mr Brits said in his entry.He said they have three toilets and have placed a brick in each of the cisterns to limit the water used for flushing.“We have paved most of the front garden and sidewalk, and use the water from the washing machine to water palms, cycads, roses and a lemon tree in the front garden. Half of our back yard is also paved, with only a small patch of grass, and cycads and palms are planted in beds. We have two areas for growing veggies, some of the produce already being harvested and frozen for winter.“The veggie garden is also watered with tank water, and water from the shower,” said Mr Brits.“Our paving areas are swept, not hosed down. Our water consumption is not more than six kilolitres in winter and slightly more in summer. Mr Stodel’s tips are appreciated, and implemented, thank you,” he said.Ms Müller said that she was a very new gardener. “I only decided to start gardening in October last year, and since then it has been something that I cannot believe I have never considered before,” she said in her competition entry. “It was rather bad timing as shortly thereafter the water restrictions were announced. I prepared as much as I could beforehand by ensuring that 80 percent of the plants that I purchased would be water-wise,” said Ms Müller. “I do have a lawn in the front garden and that is something that always suffers during extreme heat. I am fortunate enough to work at a very large company where we have a coffee bar.“While researching the different ways to ensure the best natural remedies for grass, I found out that coffee granules are high in nitrogen and great for lawns and selected other plants. Once a week, the coffee barristers fill up my five-litre bucket full of nitrogen-rich coffee granules and I use that on the lawn to keep it green. That still left me with a problem as to water, since I only have potable water on my property, I bought a 50-litre bin and my father attached a tap to it and drilled a hole in the lid. Every time we use the washing machine, we feed the pipe through the hole and in doing so re-use 50 litres of grey water for the grass and plants.“I often get asked how I get the grass to stay so green and now you have the secret,” said Ms Müller.
Share NewsPoliticsRegional Deadly attack on Haiti police headquarters by: Reuters – May 17, 2016 Sharing is caring! 222 Views no discussions Share PORT-AU-PRINCE, May 17 2016 (Reuters) – Gunmen stormed a police headquarters in southern Haiti on Monday leaving at least six killed in a shootout and a related accident in an apparent uprising attempt days after the volatile country missed a deadline to sign in a new president.The police chief for Haiti’s southern region, Luc Pierre, said gunmen in military fatigues attacked at night in the coastal city of Les Cayes. They seized automatic weapons and killed a policeman before officers shot one of them dead.“Gunmen in military fatigue attacked police headquarters around 2:30 a.m., they beat several police officers and took away a number of weapons,” Pierre said, adding that several policemen had been wounded, one seriously.Under a political agreement struck in February after the impoverished Caribbean nation failed to hold a runoff election, a provisional president was chosen on condition he held the delayed vote in April and hand over power by May 14.Both deadlines were missed, and an election will only be held after a commission evaluates fraud allegations in the first round, a process likely to take weeks despite U.S. and U.N. pressure.Suspicions about Monday’s attack turned to Guy Philippe, a former coup leader wanted by U.S. authorities on cocaine trafficking charges, who this year threatened an uprising against any interim government.Philippe denied on Monday any involvement in the attack.One of the gunmen who was captured, Remy Teleus, told reporters that he was among more than 50 men mobilized by Philippe to take over police headquarters and the southern region.“I was not among those who stormed the police headquarters, but I am part of a group commissioned by Guy Philippe to take over police headquarters,” Teleus said, adding that the plan had not been to kill police but that the situation turned ugly.Philippe, who is running for senate, called for peaceful protests to pressure interim President Jocelerme Privert to complete the botched elections.Four of the gunmen died when their vehicle crashed as they were fleeing. Others wounded in the accident were arrested.Supporters of former President Michel Joseph Martelly, who left office without an elected successor in February, have demonstrated to demand a speedy runoff.They took to the streets on Monday to call for the departure of Privert, who they accuse of foot dragging. A few protesters threw stones and broke windows at a radio station offices. Tweet Share
The incident happened on Wednesday during a quarterfinal match between Iran’s Foolad Sepahan and Saudi Arabia’s Al Ahli. No one was hurt.It happened at Iran’s Foolad Shahr Stadium in the 64th minute, forcing the match to be stopped for five minutes.AFC said some objects were thrown by spectators of host club Foolad Sepahan towards the assistant referee near the corner area, including a firecracker.“One of the objects was a firecracker which exploded,” AFC said.A video of the incident showed the home team’s player Adel Kolahkaj, picking up the object in a relax manner and tossing it outside the pitch near an advertising hoarding.It immediately exploded upon impact with the ground, sending the players and officials running for cover.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia, September 24 – Asia’s football governing body Monday said it is looking into possible disciplinary action over an incident in which an explosive was tossed on the field during an AFC Champions League match in Iran.The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) said the match commissioner’s report had been forwarded to AFC’s legal department for disciplinary investigation. The match ended in a draw.