A former director at a Newcastle firm has been barred from working in profession for misleading a client that court proceedings were issued.John Mitton, a non solicitor who worked for almost two years at PG Legal Limited until May 2016, was instructed to act for the client in an employment dispute with a recruitment agency.According to a regulatory settlement agreement published by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Mitton sent several emails between February 2015 and March 2016 giving the impression that court proceedings had been issued.In fact no proceedings had been issued, and Mitton had never drafted a court application. He admitted the emails would have led the client to believe the case was progressing.In mitigation, he told the SRA he was experiencing personal problems which meant he was unable to devote his time to the firm, he promptly admitted what he had done, and he accepted his conduct was inappropriate, particularly as a firm director. He also pointed to a clear regulatory history up to this point.The SRA fined Mitton £1,000 and ordered that he must not work in a regulated entity again without its permission.In a separate settlement, SRA imposed a similar ban on Louise Williams, a legal executive with Merseyside firm Carpenters from March 1998 to September 2016.Williams, a fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives, created letters and documents which she backdated over the course of five months in 2015, the SRA said.
MEETING in Modane on May 15, French Transport Minister Jean-Claude Gayssot and his Italian counterpart Pier-Luigi Bersani agreed to push ahead with work on the Mont Cenis base tunnel and the Lyon – Torino high-speed line as part of a programme to divert transalpine traffic from road to rail. Despite severe restrictions being put in place on the Mont Blanc road tunnel, which is expected to re-open next spring, freight traffic between France and Italy is expected to double over the next decade. The ministers want rail to take the bulk of the growth, with traffic via the Fréjus corridor increasing to 20 million tonnes a year. To handle this, Fr300m is being spent upgrading the existing line, and a further round of investment is envisaged for 2002-05.A feasibility study for the base tunnel initiated in 1997 is due to be submitted to the Intergovernmental Commission on July 18. The commission has already selected a preferred routing, for which the estimated cost is Fr6bn for the full tunnel and Fr3·8bn for an initial single bore. The ministers have allocated funds for trial bores in the vallée de Suse next year to test the geology, and the money will be matched by an EU grant.Studies will start this month into the best approach to the tunnel from the Chambéry area, and Gayssot expects to confirm the route from Lyon Satolas to Combe de Savoie in the autumn. Bersani hopes to agree a final location for the tunnel exit and a definitive alignment for the Torino bypass in September. Studies are under way for the route between Bussoleno and Torino.The intention is to start work on the base tunnel by 2006 at the latest, and have the line open around 2015.
Soccer Papua New Guinea is among Fiji, Vanuatu and Tonga who are pooled in Group B to battle for a place in the OFC Men’s Olympic Qualifier 2019 tournament from September 21 to October 5. The event will be hosted in Fiji by the Fiji Football Association. Oceania Football Confederation competitions director Christ Kemp (pictured) was assisted by Fiji Football Association president Rajesh Patel during the draw for the tournament this year. Fiji will be joined by seven other member associations with the winner securing the rights to represent OFC at the Men’s Olympic tournament at the Tokyo Games in 2020. Group A will see top seed New Zealand face fourth ranked Solomon Islands as well as Pacific cousins American Samoa and Samoa. Kemp is confident the tournament will be a success both on and off the field. “We have no doubt Fiji will be a fantastic host and the participating teams as well as the fans will all contribute to delivering a competitive and exciting tournament,” Kemp said. “The stakes are very high as qualification for a global sporting event such as the Olympics is a major prize. We expect all the participating teams to prepare and perform to their best ability and we also anticipate plenty of interest both in Fiji as well as across the entire region.” Patel shared these sentiments and can’t wait to welcome the competing teams in Fiji. “We are very excited and looking forward to putting on a great tournament,” Patel said. “Following our national team’s fantastic experience representing Oceania at the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil it was important for us to bid for the hosting rights of this qualifying tournament. “Fiji are in a very tough group and it won’t be easy but we are confident our team will do well, the fans are excited and we hope for a closely qualifying event.” OFC MEN’S OLYMPIC TOURNAMENT 2019 September 21 to October 5 (Hosts Fiji) GROUP A New Zealand Solomon Islands American Samoa Samoa GROUP B Fiji Vanuatu Papua New Guinea Tonga